Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A pain in my...shoulder

My cat has a very sophisticated pallet. His favorite entrees are bananas, bread (but only if he rips the bag open himself), orange juice, and black coffee. I recently found what appears to be Tate's equivalent to women with chocolate.
A week ago or so I injured my left shoulder somehow. I tried icing it and using Ibuprofen, but nothing helped the pain. I have heard in the past that Icy Hot and similar products are actually very bad for your muscles. I broke down anyways and bought some Target brand heat/ice therapy patches. On one side of the patch is some sort of menthol medicine that you just stick to the area that hurts and it does its majic.
I live in a basement appartment and have to sleep in a hoodie every night, so after applying the patch I quickly jumped into the perferred hoodie and snowflake flannel pants and crawled into bed to get lost in a good book. As soon as I was comfortably situated on my stomach Tate decides to lay on my book. This is the normal routine where we will fight for about ten minutes and eventually I decide he is so darn cute and reposition myself to not bother him. Soon after Tate found his comfy spot, he stuck his nose in the air and frantically sniffed in every direction. He was quickly able to realize that the smell was coming from under my sweatshirt.
First, Tate decides that this is heaven and wants it NOW. He climbs on my back and frantically starts licking the shoulder that the Menthol patch is adhered to. He realizes that this is not nearly satisfying enough and starts to "dig" on my sweatshirt to get to the heavenly creation. During that time Tate is purring loudly and groaning with pleasure.
Secondly, Tate decides to take a more direct approach. He realizes that the smell is coming from inside the shirt, and he needs to find a way in. The closest opening was the neck hole. Tate is a very large cat, but has no idea that he may not fit through this hole. First goes one paw, then the other. This is not working out. Tate gets situated in the hood of my sweatshirt and attempts a swan dive into the shirt. His paws pointing downward and his head pushing with all it's might. This as well seems to not work enough so to please Tate.
Lastly Tate figures out how to get to the stupid Menthol patch of his dreams. During all this wriggling around, the bottom of my hoodie starts to ride up and Tates cold little paw strikes the skin on my lower back. With one quick jump and twist Tate realized he has figured out the solution. He dives up my sweatshirt and easily makes it to the Menthol patch that he tries to devour instantly.
I start to worry if these chemicals might be harmful to Tate. I jump out of bed and do a little shake to get the cat out of my shirt. Tate decides he work to hard to let go now. He sinks his back claws into the waist of my PJ pants and tries with all his strength to hold onto my back with his clawless front paws. I realize that clawlessness is probably the best $150.00 I have ever spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment