Monday, February 22, 2010

Going on a Walkabout

I work part-time as an advocate at a transitional housing/drug treatment shelter for Native American women. I love it and wish I was more involved. As anyone knows who has ever worked in social work, your clients can often drop into your life at unexpected moments. Such as on a Walkabout through Australia...

This dream seemed to be caught already half way through. I jumped into the picture and tried to keep up such as one would with a movie you arrived late to. In the middle of the Australian outback there were hungry dying grasses blowing in the breeze and a large snake slid into his hole near by. The place would be relaxing and peaceful if it wasn't for the intense heat and large Native American women arguing over my shoulder about the proper way to make fry bread over our meager fire. I decide it is time for a game and round the ladies up. They are overly unimpressed by my efforts to make this trip somewhat useful, and go on arguing among themselves. The largest of the ladies, we'll call her Stacy, outwardly starts criticizing my choice of places for the women to go to work on their strength and addictive behaviors. Stacy often criticizes me at work and is the negative leader of the pack. I inform her that the government gave me a 50,000 dollar grant (ha! This is definitely a dream) to teach these ladies something and that is what I intend to do. Suddenly a large hawk appears and takes Stacy off. We run after the pair begging for the bird to let go of his grasp on Stacy. We ultimately all become overwhelmed and quit looking. At this point I am panicking due to the loss of one of my clients, and decide that the whole group will hike back to the airport to go home. Upon arriving at home I am actually rewarded for getting rid of the "bad" lady in the house and am told by an Native American Elder that I am very wise and that he was the hawk that took the awful Stacy away.

..Ow! Tate bit my nose. Awake...

1 comment:

  1. he-he The part where the hawk carries off the bad lady reminded me of the scene from the proposal where the dog gets carried off!

    ReplyDelete